Backend Software Engineer
Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Are you ready to be at the forefront of groundbreaking energy innovation? Our Production Architecture team is on the hunt for a skilled and passionate Backend Software Engineer to power our journey into the future of fusion energy.
As a vital member of our team, you'll take charge of developing cutting-edge distributed systems and services. Your focus will be on crafting robust APIs and innovative data solutions that fuel our production team's success. Picture yourself creating seamless data acquisition, ensuring access reliability, and designing stunning dashboards that set new industry standards for the emerging Fusion industry.
Collaboration is key. You'll work closely with manufacturing experts, controls specialists, and fellow software engineers to turn user stories into efficient, high-performance code. Your expertise will bridge the gap between our Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), Manufacturing Execution System (MES), and Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, revolutionizing how we interface and streamline operations.
This team member will:
- Architect and engineer cutting-edge distributed systems and services to revolutionize data acquisition, access, and processing across the organization
- Craft visually compelling dashboards that adhere to top-tier UI/UX design principles, setting new industry benchmarks
- Lead collaborative efforts with manufacturing, quality experts, technicians, and engineers to extract user stories and translate them into robust, scalable code
- Innovate and implement streamlined communication methods and REST API solutions tailored for manufacturing applications
- Serve as the pivotal link, seamlessly integrating SCADA, MES, and ERP systems to optimize manufacturing processes and workflows
- Drive backend performance enhancements, drastically improving data ingestion, retrieval, and processing speeds through strategic optimizations
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Engineering degree or 6+ years of equivalent experience in Process Control Engineering, Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES), Information Technology, Computer Science or Computer engineering
- 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing/production role
- Proven experience as a backend software engineer working on distributed systems and REST APIs
- Knowledge of UI/UX design principles and best practices
- Familiarity with Software and development tools such as Git, GitHub
- Competency with SQL databases and ability to write SQL queries
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- A value for design for manufacturability, serviceability, and simplicity over complexity
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience interfacing with industrial PLC systems
- Experience interfacing with SCADA systems
- Experience interfacing or developing Timescale/telemetry data visualizations
- Desirable experience using Grafana, Tableau, Ignition (inductive automation)
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.