Electromagnetics FEA Engineer
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS is seeking an experienced Electromagnetics FEA Engineer with strong background in the finite element modeling of complex electromagnetic systems.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists and engineers as part of a collaborative sponsored research projects at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
- Perform FEA simulations, magnetic field analysis of highly non-linear, anisotropic systems utilizing both commercial as well as in-house finite element simulation tools
- Customize FEA tools though scripting (Python/MATLAB etc.) as needed
- Work with a cross-functional team of experimentalists and physicists to verify the models and simulations
- Attend and participate in meetings where design progress is discussed, iterated, and updated.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Minimum of B.S in Electrical Engineering or related field with 5 years’ experience in FEM in electromagnetics
- Strong background and theoretical understanding of computational electromagnetic models and electromagnetic fields is required
- Experience with commercial FEA tools like COMSOL
- Ability to customize FEA tools using scripting tools like Python/MATLAB/C is strongly desired
- Ability to perform multiphysics coupling simulations (coupling heat transfer and solid mechanics physics)
- An ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- An emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity
- A drive towards commercially viable solutions
- A history of thriving in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- Values that align with our company’s values of integrity, execution, impact, and self-critique.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.