Quality Assurance Manager
Devens, MA /
Corporate Operations – Operations - Quality /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Quality Assurance Manager at CFS is responsible for leading the creation, revision, training and effective utilization of ISO 9001:2015 complaint Quality Management System procedures and processes with the objective of supporting and assuring successful realization of CFS strategic goals and achieving ISO 9001:2015 certification.
Under the general direction of the Quality Manager, this position will be accountable for QMS leadership, directly integrating it into CFS business and management system processes and continuous improvement of the quality management system.
This team member will:
- Create, revise, maintain and update ISO 9001:2015 compliant quality management system procedures to support organizational objectives
- Lead QMS for successful 3rd party certification to ISO 9001:2015 management system standard
- Ensure CFS core values, goals and mission requirements are translated and embedded at all levels of functional processes to support strategic direction of the organization
- Support development of ERP and MES system workflows to ensure quality system requirements are properly embedded at all levels of functional processes
- Lead continuous improvement of the Quality Management System process and scale as required to support business growth
- Create, update and manage Quality KPI dashboard for the organization and escalate risks to the management
- Create and manage quality lessons learned database for ARC device design and construction
- Support organizational regulatory certification efforts as required from quality standpoint
- Responsible for document control of all QMS documents including manufacturing procedures, records & templates and vendor audit, quality, non-conformance & corrective action records.
- Manage Non-conformance & Corrective Action database and timely closure with proactive follow-ups
- Develop internal audit program with cross functional team members and support customer and other 3rd party audits as required
- Monitor adherence to system quality plans and support successful implementation
- Train new and existing employees on quality policies, procedures and auditing techniques
- Participate in Root Cause Analysis and support manufacturing and design engineers in developing Corrective Actions
- Conduct internal and external process audits to ensure engineering and quality requirements are being met
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- BS in Engineering
- ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor Certification
- Minimum 10 years of experience in leading QMS implementations in manufacturing
- Experience leading ISO 9001:2015 with demonstrated success in passing certification audits
- Experience in ERP and MES development
- Displays agility in ambiguous environment with strong decision-making skills
- Excellent procedure development and training and coaching skills
- Requires cross functional collaborative leadership skills with bias for action
- Finds creative ways to establish simple and robust processes
- Knowledgeable in Quality Engineering tools (8D, Six Sigma, PPAP, FMEA, SPC, etc)
- Excellent communication and organization skills
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience working in New Product development environment
- Experience working on large scale integration projects
- Experience working with multiple standards (AS9100D, AIAG 16949, ISO 17025, etc)
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call or long hours
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.