Cambridge, MA /
Tokamak Team /
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The SPARC tokamak will have a variety of complex systems under extreme electromagnetic and thermal loads. We're looking to add a structural engineer to our team to help us tackle these engineering challenges.
This team member will:
- work within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists and engineers as part of collaborative sponsored research projects at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center;
- design and analyze novel solutions to complex structural problems;
- interface with vendors and partners to ensure manufacturing feasibility of designs;
- identify and help execute enabling R&D; and
- contribute to both tokamak R&D as well as spin-out technologies.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- solid knowledge of the fundamentals of computational structural mechanics;
- solid background in performing structural hand calculations (e.g. statics, drawing free body diagrams, bolted joints);
- a high proficiency for modern CAD and FEA tools;
- experience with systems at the limits of engineering (e.g., plastic analysis, indeterminate structures, advanced materials, etc.);
- a bachelor’s degree in a related engineering field (e.g., mechanical or civil engineering);
- at least 5 years of experience doing structural engineering in industry;
- the skill to clearly express and critique ideas;
- a value for elegance and simplicity over complexity; and
- a drive towards commercially-viable solutions.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.