Manufacturing Operations Engineer
Devens, MA /
Corporate Operations – Operations /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS aims to be the fastest, surest path to clean, limitless, fusion energy – in time to make a difference for climate change. Most discussions about CFS tend to be focused on the magnets and fusion machines we build, but it is equally important for us to build and refine “the machine that builds the machine” which includes our manufacturing, quality, and supply chain capabilities and also our business processes. We aspire to have internal processes and operations that are “like air” to our team members and we are looking to hire a manufacturing operations engineer to continuously improve our business processes as we work towards that aspiration. This individual is a critical member of the Operations organization focused entirely on making manufacturing & quality business processes “like air”. This individual works between Operations, Manufacturing, Quality, Supply Chain, and IT/EIS (enterprise information systems) to develop and align requirements and tools in support of the overarching mission.
This team member will:
- Develop systems and business processes to grow and scale our manufacturing and quality operations from R&D to full-scale production
- Lead process development for ERP (enterprise resource planning) and MES (manufacturing execution system) integration for systems such as manufacturing work instructions, nonconformance management, labor tracking and skills matrix, asset management, and equipment monitoring
- Act as the interface between manufacturing & quality teams and EIS (enterprise information systems) to align requirements and objectives
- Evaluate business processes, identify and document requirements, and translate them into functional business requirements
- Work collaboratively with a cross-functional team of designers, manufacturing engineers, technicians, quality specialists, and supply chain specialists to brainstorm and innovate on efficient operations for the company
- Create standards, templates, and processes to mature the organization for production operations using tools such as Lean Six Sigma, value stream mapping, PFMEAs (process failure mode and effects analysis), 8D problem solving, change control plans, etc.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, information systems, or business administration
- 5+ years' experience as an operations, manufacturing, quality, or industrial/lean engineer
- Experience developing processes and procedures to transition from R&D into production
- Project management experience working with internal customers and external vendors to deliver projects within specified timelines and budgets
- Experience with ERP (enterprise resource planning) and MES (manufacturing execution system) process development and implementation
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with the application of Lean Six Sigma methodologies
- Experience with Odoo ERP software
- Experience with Atlassian products including JIRA and Confluence
- Strong drive for continuous improvement and operational efficiency
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting/problem-solving skills
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, and strong magnets
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.