Plasma Control Software Engineer
Cambridge, MA /
SPARC Team – Instrumentation & Control /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The SPARC instrumentation and control team are seeking an experienced software engineer to take responsibility for the implementation of the SPARC plasma control system (PCS). The SPARC PCS will be the most advanced in the world, containing the controllers necessary to achieve breakeven fusion energy, burning plasma and the prediction, avoidance and mitigation of high-energy modes and disruptions.
This team member will:
- Design, implement, test and maintain the software for the plasma control system of SPARC
- Implement the PCS architecture and control algorithms defined by the lead PCS engineer and physics teams
- Design and implement the synchronous data network (SDN) communication protocol and driver stack
- Collaborate with other software and I&C engineers and other key stakeholders to ensure all necessary functions and interfaces are included in the design and implemented according to requirements
- Define the software quality assurance process appropriate to the quality levels of the applications
- Production of the required design deliverables according to the SPARC design process
- Produce testing, installation, commissioning, operations and maintenance procedures for the plasma control system
- Manage suppliers of software components and integrated subsystems of the Plasma Control System (PCS)
- Report on and be accountable for progress to the head of I&C and the lead PCS engineer
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Required Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in software engineering
- Real-time control systems with control loops in the kHz range
- Techniques and measures for producing high reliability software
- Low latency network communication
- Software development lifecycles including agile, waterfall, V-model
- Following coding standards
- Version control
- Working with academic institutions from a diverse range of countries (preferred)
- C++, Python
- FPGAs, Bare metal, MARTe2, Simulink, PTP, White Rabbit, IEEE 802.1x, TSN (preferred)
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, sitting, etc for extended periods of time
- Withstand exposure to heat, cold, and noise
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.