Cambridge, MA /
Operations Team /
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS is seeking a Senior Buyer to execute critical procurement activities in accordance with evolving supply strategies. The Senior Buyer is highly organized, speaks the language of manufacturing and supply chain, and is responsible for purchasing unique, tightly-toleranced, build to print components.
This team member will:
- Create error-free purchase orders up to authorized limits for raw materials, machined parts, weldments, and other critical path components
- Identify the best value supplier by issuing requests for quote and analyzing responses from suppliers
- Review and manage open orders with suppliers to ensure product arrives as expected
- Resolve invoice issues and ensure that vendors are paid on time
- Support cost savings initiatives, lead time improvement projects, quality improvement projects, and recommend changes to processes to improve supply chain performance
- Adhere to all supply chain policies, procedures, guidelines and instructions including those regarding the procurement of materials, intellectual property, and export compliance
- Negotiate price and lead time
- Review statements of work, prepare bidders lists, and manage the quote process
- Purchase from both MRP and project/purchase requests under departmental guidelines
- Provide constant, clear, and timely updates to internal customers
- Track individual and supplier performance against objectives
- Visit suppliers as necessary to conduct business reviews, kick off new projects, check on manufacturing milestones, or resolve technical issues
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Possess exceptional knowledge of how to read blueprints/drawings, interpret specifications and review statements of work. Be able to look at a drawing and know how the item should be made and how much it should cost.
- Have 5+ years’ procurement experience in a highly technical manufacturing environment
- Possess remarkable problem-solving skills with a bias for speed
- Learn quickly and adapt to new information and environments
- Be able to work with minimal supervision to follow through on assignments and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate organizational skills and accuracy, with the ability to prioritize job functions to meet deadlines and ensure smooth workflow and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Work well under pressure and with exceptionally tight deadlines
- Possess excellent judgement and the ability to make and execute on decisions for the holistic betterment of the company with little oversight
- Demonstrate integrity, respect, commitment to excellence, collaboration, creativity, and agility
- Exhibit strong customer service skills and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment with frequent interruptions and distractions
- Address problems with a positive, creative, collaborative approach, always keeping the customer experience in mind
- Have general understanding of enterprise quality system functionality (e.g., ISO 9000, AS9100, TS16949, etc.).
- Have a working knowledge of ERP systems and MRP logic
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Supply Chain, Engineering, Business, Finance, or another related field
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.