CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The SPARC tokamak will rely exclusively on a VHF RF system to heat plasmas to fusion conditions. The system will be comprised of up to 25 2-MW RF modules at ~120 MHz, capable of delivering >25 MW of power to the fusion plasmas for ~10-second long pulses. This RF heating system is one of the crucial subsystems for SPARC to meet its mission of net fusion energy.
This team member will:
- work within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists and engineers as part of collaborative sponsored research projects at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center (PSFC);
- design RF electro-mechanical subsystem components;
- identify and work with vendors to procure components; and
- participate in the construction and operation of prototype RF systems.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- experience with the design and operation of electrical and electro-mechanical RF systems;
- knowledge of and preferably hands-on experience with high-power VHF systems;
- an ability to communicate and work with vendors;
- experience with modern CAD and FEA tools;
- at least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering field (e.g., electrical);
- an ability to clearly express and critique ideas;
- an emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity;
- a drive towards commercially-viable solutions;
- a history of thriving in fast-paced, dynamic environments; and
- values that align with our company’s values of integrity, execution, impact, and self-critique.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.