Head of Supplier Integration
Cambridge, MA /
SPARC – Tokamak /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The role of the Supplier Integration Management team is to integrate suppliers into the SPARC project from the early stages of product design, ensure flawless execution of the procurement contracts and optimize schedule, cost, and quality. The Head of Supplier Integration leads the team in charge of supply chain activities for a group of systems: strategic sourcing, tactical procurement, supplier management and supplier development. They build and develop the team of the Supplier Integration Managers embedded within the project teams and are accountable for meeting the internal customers’ needs by selecting the best sources within the assigned budget for each system, managing contracts and orders, and overseeing suppliers’ activities from order to delivery and support. The Head of Supplier Integration is a working manager role, and will be hands on in the development, implementation, and execution of sourcing strategies for SPARC and beyond.
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, for the group of systems under their responsibility as a team manager:
- Have management responsibility for the sourcing team and cost, quality and delivery objectives
- Ensure process adherence for strategic and tactical sourcing
- Set up the required level of supplier oversight through a network of supplier quality managers (contractors and/or CFS employees)
- Coordinate planning and scheduling activities with the assigned planner in a matrixed organization (functionally reporting to the head of Inventory and Supply Planning team)
- Report out on project status, risks and issues to the supply chain and the systems leadership teams.
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, for the systems under their direct responsibility as a Supplier Integration Manager:
- Act as a primary strategic sourcing expert for their assigned engineering teams, focused primarily on new products and Design for Manufacturability activities
- Own the costed bill of materials for purchased components and co-lead executive cost reviews
- Develop both a short and long-term product specific sourcing strategy and drive execution, coordinating cross-functionally to ensure project success
- Interpret technical requirements and estimate cost, lead times, manufacturing techniques, and identify the best value supplier
- Negotiate internally and externally at all levels or with persons of influence frequently
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Supply Chain, Engineering, Business, Finance or other related field
- Master’s degree or MBA
- 10+ years’ related work experience in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability to work hand-in-hand with design and manufacturing teams from requirements definition to source selection: gather, challenge and interpret requirements in a wide variety of technical fields, coordinate costs and lead times estimation, and lead the team towards the selection of best value supplier(s)
- Proven experience in supporting critical new product introduction activities for highly technical products, managing suppliers during the contract execution and support phases
- Exceptional technical understanding of the commodities and systems under their management
- Previous experience managing a team in a start-up or high growth environment (is preferred)
- Ability to read, understand and interpret blueprints/drawings, specifications and statements of work
- Exceptional understanding of strategic sourcing skills and tools
- Exceptional interpersonal skills in a matrixed team environment
- Remarkable problem-solving skills
- Excellent critical thinking and judgement, with the ability to make and execute on decisions
This ideal candidate will face the following working conditions:
- Extended periods of computer work either standing or sitting
- Extended periods of phone or teleconference work
- Travel to supplier locations will be required, up to 50%
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.