TF Thermohydraulic Analyst
Devens, MA /
SPARC Team – Tokamak Interfacing Systems /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The toroidal field (TF) magnet is one of the key enabling technologies of SPARC. It uses high-temperature superconducting (HTS) material to generate strong magnetic fields, which enable efficient fusion power. The SPARC facility will also feature a large-scale cryogenic plant and cryogenic distribution system that will generate and deliver supercritical helium to the TF to keep it cold.
As TF Thermal-Hydraulic Analyst, this team member will perform detailed analyses of the helium flow and heat transfer within the TF under a range of conditions to ensure that all performance targets are being met.
This team member will:
- Capable of working independently and as part of team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- In-depth understanding of: heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, compressible flow systems, buoyancy-driven flow, highly variable temperature-dependent material properties
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work with and knowledge of the tools identified below
- Desire and capacity to simultaneously work multiple dimensions of a fast-paced project
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- ANSYS products including: Fluent, Mechanical, APDL
- Mathcad / Matlab
- System Fluid Flow Software (e.g., AFT products / Flownex / Simulink Simscape)
- Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Project, Powerpoint, etc.)
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Familiarity with verification, validation, and uncertainty quantification (VVUQ)
- Some experience with QA is a plus.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, and noise
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.