Head of Quality Assurance
Cambridge, MA /
Manufacturing Team /
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS is seeking a proven, hands-on Director of Quality to proactively design, build and lead the quality strategy and function across our organization. You will have the unique opportunity and responsibility to develop our Quality Management System and Quality Department from the ground up. To be successful, this person will be a driven, hands-on, self-motivated leader who can create a system, organization and culture that is agile and successful across multiple functions.
This team member will:
- Build, train, and enforce quality systems and strategies designed to ensure mission reliability, compliance to technical and regulatory requirements, and a 0% failure culture.
- Be an expert in business operations and technologies and know how traditional quality assurance strategies should be adapted to enhance our unique business model.
- Understand the 'why' and lead the organization in designing a world-class, flexible, and efficient quality assurance and compliance organization while partnering across functions with the goal of creating a culture of continuous quality improvement.
- Serve as the principal contact person for external regulatory bodies and accreditation organizations for audits, surveys, and other inquiries; oversees documentation, reporting, and closure of compliance issues
- Coordinate the budget development for Quality Assurance, including immediate and projected needs of human and material resources.
- Own all Quality Assurances non-destructive testing, incoming inspection, Material Review Board (MRB), internal process controls, and calibration. Maintain all required documentation for compliance.
- Develop and implement the corporation’s internal ISO 9001 Quality Management System and any relevant Quality Assurance standard operating procedures. Once implemented, acts as the subject matter expert in quality systems and utilize proven tools (such as Six Sigma, Root Cause And Corrective Actions, Statistical Process Control) to improve yield and reduce QA associated costs.
- Actively work with Manufacturing and Supply Chain to specify internal and supplier quality performance requirements, including a system for capturing, tracking, and resolving non-conformances
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 7+ years in a complex manufacturing company with a Quality Assurance organization certified to ISO9001, TS16949, AS9100C or similar program
- 7+ years of hands-on management of Quality Assurance employees on the shop floor with a strong focus on team building and employee development
- Previous significant experience with ISO9001 implementation
- Strong knowledge of FMEA, Root Cause, 8D, SPC, SQC and Six Sigma
- Ability to manage complex projects which can cross team boundaries; often addressing requirements and objectives which may initially be ambiguous and need to be refined by working with multiple organizations.
- Experience with New Product Introduction
- Experience with a wide variety of components and processes related to highly-toleranced products and complex integrated systems including nuclear devices, aerospace systems, metal forming, machining, fabrication of large structures, and electrical or magnetic subsystems
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills; be able to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals and also effectively present them to various audiences
- Detail oriented and highly organized to manage many projects and details simultaneously
- Be able to successfully carry out responsibilities in a dynamic and growing start-up environment
- Possess the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Demonstrate the ability to compare test results to specifications to determine proper adherence to standards.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Diverse knowledge of inspection and control methods, techniques and documentation.
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Technical Bachelor’s degree preferred
- ASQ/CQE/CQM certification with experience in a production manufacturing environment
- Ability to develop analytical tools using SQL, Python, or similar
- Experience with current Quality Assurance tools, software, or platforms
- Industry knowledge of Quality Assurance consultants or firms used to augment internal Quality headcount or provide guidance for audits
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.