Senior Mechanical Engineer
Somerville, MA /
SPARC Team – Tokamak Systems /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Commonwealth Fusion HR LLC seeks a full time Senior Mechanical Engineer at our offices located at 10 Tyler Street, Somerville, MA 02143.
- Within a multidisciplinary team of physicists and engineers, the Senior Mechanical Engineer for the SPARC Tokamak will be responsible to guide the thermal, structural, and electromagnetic analysis, develop design notes, technical specifications, assembly procedures and documentation necessary to manufacture and install the SPARC components
- Support procurement in the preparation and execution of manufacturing contracts
- Design and document components of the SPARC tokamak
- Provide technical support to procurement in the manufacturing of the SPARC components
- Develop assembly documentation for the SPARC components
- Support the development of the tooling for assembly
- Mentor engineers in areas of expertise
- Material selection and manufacturing processes selection for maximum performance and reliability
- Lead design paths and overall strategy for critical subcomponents and systems of the Tokamak.
- Prepare design and analysis reviews for scrutiny from other engineers and higher management.
- Describe, record and execute tests. Correlate test data with simulations. Validate designs based on test results and simulation.
- Create 3D CAD models and 2D drawings applying GD&T.
- Bachelor’s degree (or foreign degree equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Physics, or related discipline
- Plus 5 years of progressively responsible experience in a Mechanical Engineering or Product Design Engineering role
Experience, which may be gained concurrently, must include the following:
- 5 years of experience using 3D CAD modeling and creating complex parts and large assemblies;
- 5 years of experience in full product lifecycle bringing own 3D CAD design concepts to manufacturing and production;
- 5 years of experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) packages including ANSYS or Abaqus and conducting thermal, stress, vibration and fatigue analysis;
- 5 years of experience designing parts using a variety of manufacturing methods including machining, welding, sheet metal, forging, injection molding, casting and 3D printing;
- 5 years of experience working with vendors in a technical capacity;
- 5 years of experience with MATLAB and Python;
- 5 years of experience using test equipment such as loadcells and strain gages;
- 5 years of experiencing collecting and interpreting test results to validate analysis models and material properties;
- 5 years of experience creating 2D drawings and applying Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T);
- 5 years with “hands on” build of prototypes and test rigs for prototype validation.
$140,000 - $151,200 a year
*Position is eligible for Employee Referral Program
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.