Devens, MA /
SPARC Team – Tokamak Interfacing Systems /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC facility will feature a large-scale cryogenic plant and cryogenic distribution system that will generate and deliver supercritical helium to various subsystems of the SPARC tokamak. The cryogenics system is a critical utility for ensuring the tokamak high-temperature superconductors (HTS) meet performance requirements.
As a Cryogenic (CRYO) Analyst, this team member will primarily help drive the design progression of the cryodistribution system (CRYD) by performing scoping and design analyses for thermal-hydraulic, thermodynamic, and structural systems and components within CRYD and interfacing systems that CRYD supports. Assessments will range in complexity from completing evaluations on standard components with standard design criteria to completing evaluations for one-of-kind complex integrated systems and specialized components within these systems to application specific design criteria.
This team member will:
- Perform steady-state and transient thermal-fluid and thermodynamic calculations and analyses to support design evaluation and iteration. Evaluations may be performed to internal acceptance criteria or industry standards, depending on the component/system.
- Provide input and insights into component and system designs based on calculations and analyses.
- Work collaboratively with the CRYO and wider CFS teams to identify needed analyses and receive feedback.
- Present findings at various group meetings and support decision-making based on the evaluatio.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelors Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, or Thermal Engineering
- Capable of working independently and as part of team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- In-depth understanding of heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, compressible flow systems, and structural mechanics
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work with and knowledge of the tools identified below
- Desire and capacity to simultaneously work multiple dimensions of a fast-paced project
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Mathcad / Matlab
- System Fluid Flow Software (e.g., Flownex, AFT products)
- Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Project, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Familiarity with industry codes and standards (e.g., ASME BPV Code, B31.3)
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, and noise
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.