Senior Engineering Checker
Engineering – CAD /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This CFS SPARC Engineering Checker will report to the Head of 3D CAD Integration and will assist the engineering team by providing NX CAD drafting and design checking support to create/revise drawings for new/legacy custom parts, designing and/or modifying new/legacy custom components in NX and Teamcenter, and by reviewing dimensions and tolerances on drawings to ensure their suitability for the intended production process. The candidate will be a team player, collaborate with engineering teams, and have a strong sense of responsibility and commitment towards producing accurate drawings.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary and proven team of top scientists and engineers
- Provide CAD Checking support using Siemens NX and Teamcenter
- Review GD&T of custom parts, castings, forgings, machine parts, sheet metal components and weldments
- Communicate with engineering teams to review drawing changes to suit manufacturing process capabilities
- Communicate design and design changes with SPARC engineering team
- Provide mechanical engineering support for resolution of field and manufacturing issues via drawing changes
- Estimate time required to complete support activities
- Report on and be accountable for project progress to the Head of 3D CAD Integration.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical and/or Industrial engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in creating models of mechanical parts using Siemens NX CAD software
- Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms in Siemens NX, version 1980 or later
- Understand dimensional capabilities of castings, machined parts and weldments
- Candidate will have the technical depth and proven experience to create and review drawings to ASME Y14.100 and ASME Y14.5 standards
- Candidate will demonstrate knowledge of GD&T and the use of CAD tools to create/refine designs and drawings for assemblies and custom parts made of forgings, machined parts and weldments
- Knowledge of component finishing processes such as electro-polishing, plating, heat treatment, paint/powder coating.
- Full understanding of Teamcenter or Active Workspace
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Proven experience in a fast paced, high transactional environment
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.