Devens, MA /
Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This position will be responsible for machining or modifying parts per use of verbal communication, drawings and solid models using standard machine shop tooling such as 3 axis machining centers, water jet, Trak mill and lathe, surface grinder and standard equipment.
This team member will:
- Safely program, set up and operate multiple CNC equipment with minimal assistance.
- Ability to simultaneously operate more than one CNC machine at a time.
- Read and adhere to all verbal and written processes.
- Inspect product utilizing visual and hand inspection equipment (microscopes, vernier calipers, micrometers, drop indicators, profilometer, etc.).
- Inspect, change and make offsets to cutting tooling in CNC equipment.
- Use 5S to maintain a clean and safe workspace.
- Perform daily preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Interact in a professional manner with coworkers on a daily basis.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Formal trades or apprenticeship programs. Higher level trade school cert or degree.
- 5 years experience in CNC machine trade.
- Good computer skills.
- Experience programming with CAD.
- Basic knowledge of G-code.
- Strong work ethic and high attention to detail.
- Flexible ability to work in a fastpaced team environment.
- Able to manage sensitive and sometimes confidential information.
- Great communication skills.
- Openness to working overtime or to arrange start time to benefit part run times as required.
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- How to calculate tolerance changes to atmospheric temperature changes in shop (CTE).
- Full knowledge of Mastercam.
- Experience with Haas machining centers.
- 4 and 5 axis machining.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs often
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, sitting, high voltage, or cryogenics for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, cryogenics, machine coolant, and cutting oils used in machine shop
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.