Cambridge, MA /
SPARC Team – Integration /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
Systems Engineering is the science of developing an operable system capable of meeting design and functional requirements. Systems Engineering is an interdisciplinary approach to system design focusing on the process for system development while considering the complete lifecycle of the system. The CFS Systems Engineering team is responsible for creating a set of tools and a culture of engineering rigor to ensure nothing falls through the cracks and that handoffs between systems and external stakeholders are well-managed.
The CFS Systems Engineering team systematically decomposes systems into a series of activities performed to provide evidence of design. These deliverables are used by internal/external stakeholders for the manufacturing, procurement, construction, installation, test, commissioning, operations, and decommissioning of the structures, systems, and components that make up SPARC. CFS is currently looking for an experienced systems engineer with broad technical experience to work with system owners on a variety of design, development, and deployment activities.
This team member will:
- Collaborate with system responsible officers and engineers/scientists to ensure all necessary functions and interfaces are included in the design and implemented according to requirements
- With the Project Management office, systems owners, and supply chain, coordinate the integration, testing, installation, and commissioning of SPARC systems according to the project schedule
- Contribute to system design deliverable development including requirements and interfaces, FMECA and HAZOPS, commissioning plans and workflows, operational concepts, etc.
- Ensure the design is completed in compliance with the Code of Record and established requirements
- Maintain good organizational relationships with other departments and engineering disciplines
- Report on and be accountable for progress to the Head of Systems Engineer & Design Integration and the system responsible officers and engineers
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering field (aerospace, electrical, mechanical, industrial, mechatronics, or systems engineering)
- 5+ years in systems engineering
- Knowledge of systems engineering processes and procedures and an understanding of the complete system development lifecycle
- Production of engineering documents, processes, and workflows
- An emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity and a history of thriving in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- Values that align with our company’s values of integrity, execution, impact, and self-critique
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Commissioning (planning and execution) of large-scale complex systems
- Process engineering in large-scale accelerator chemical, energy, fission, or fusion plants
- Have worked in a QA/QC environment
- Master’s degree
- Functional analysis, requirements and interface management
- FMECA and HAZOPS
- Risk management
- Verification and Validation, Commissioning Plans and Procedures
- System Integration
- Ability to perform activities such as typing and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willing to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.