Welder - First Shift
Devens, MA /
Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This individual is responsible for performing all in-house welding work for cutting edge high-field superconducting magnets and tokamak assemblies. This individual also partners with the welding engineer and R&D engineers to develop the weld geometry and techniques, weld specs, and inspection methods needed for welded assemblies for the SPARC tokamak.
This team member will:
- Weld and inspect large metallic structures and tooling within specified timelines and budgets
- Set up welding processes as per specifications, incl. determining the correct equipment to use and methods based on the requirements
- Read and analyze drawings and take detailed measurements to plan the project layout
- Cut and join material
- Perform hand welding or semi-automated welding. Utilize advanced forms of welding when needed. Weld components in vertical, flat, and overhead positions
- Provide manufacturability feedback to design engineers for weld geometries and material selection
- Perform welding equipment qualification trials
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- Follow safety procedures at all times
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Documented Training or Certification in most of the following: Blueprint Reading and Fabrication, Oxyacetylene Welding, Cutting, Brazing, Basic Shielded Metal Arc Welding, (SMAW), Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW), Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- 5+ years' experience as a welder on large structural systems and tooling
- Experience with large metallic structures and manufacturing processes related to welding
- Experience in producing welds to pass industry standard requirements
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience in advanced welding techniques such as TIP-TIG
- Experience in pressure vessel welding
- Experience in structural welding
- Constant Current (CC) Welding Machines
- MIG, Stick, TIG, Gas, Plasma Arc and/or Electron Beam and Laser Welding
- The ability to read and interpret technical drawings and documentation
- Excellent attention to detail
- Knowledge of various forms of welding equipment and procedures
- The capacity to work unsupervised
- A detailed understanding of mathematical and numerical data and calculations
- Project and time management
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs regularly
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel occasionally or do required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.