Cambridge, MA /
Manufacturing Team /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
High-temperature superconductors (HTS) have reached commercial maturity and present an opportunity to change the way superconducting magnets are built and used. These magnets are the key technology for building a fusion power plant that will revolutionize clean energy production for the world. CFS is ramping up its internal production capabilities and is looking for an Assembly Technician.
This team member will:
- build electro-mechanical parts and assemblies
- work within a multi-disciplinary team of manufacturing engineers and technicians to develop and qualify new manufacturing techniques and processes
- perform R&D and prototype hardware builds with minimal documentation and oversight
- perform production hardware builds according to procedures, specifications, and test instructions
- troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- use various mechanical and precision calibrated tools such as torque wrenches, micrometers, and calipers
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- a high school diploma/equivalency certificate or higher
- a minimum of 2 years’ experience with hand tools and machine shop equipment
- a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a variety of technical support skills such as mechanical and electrical assembly, plumbing, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, soldering, and wiring. Experience with winding equipment of any type is a plus
- a commitment to safety and quality
- the ability to take directions from supervisors and work independently
- the desire to work and contribute in a fast-paced, startup R&D environment with daily changes
- excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness with hands-on work
- the ability and patience to work through projects from start to finish, including assembly and testing
- a demonstrated ability in reading/understanding technical and electrical drawings, manuals, and reports. Experience navigating assemblies in 3D CAD software is a plus
- ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.