Service Desk Engineer
Milpitas, CA /
Operations Team /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
Are you an experienced service desk professional or junior engineer that strives for more and craves engineering projects and experience? The Service Desk Engineer will be on a team responsible for being the first point of contact and escalation for any and all IT issues. In addition, this role will report to the IT Infrastructure Manager and work very closely with the infrastructure team on foundational infrastructure, architecture, and security projects. We’re looking for someone who’s superb on the service desk and asks the right questions to understand the business process of our users. A successful team member will be someone who brings the knowledge and experience to help automate our processes and streamline workflows.
This team member will:
- Work on a team as a primary point of contact to deliver top-notch support to our end users with grace, patience, and efficiency
- Lead the management of end user devices throughout their entire life cycle, including procurement, configuration, maintenance, and disposal
- Work day to day with members of our IT team to assist in engineering projects and various tasks as needed
- Implementation and support of enterprise solutions such as Mobile Device Management, Identity and Access Management, Enterprise Anti-Malware, Imaging, etc
- Evolve current processes with an eye towards automating the repetitive tasks so the humans can focus on solving the hard problems
- Support the technical onboarding experience for new CFS employees making sure they have the equipment and tools to be successful
- Provide rotational off-hours support as well as occasional after hours availability for system upgrades, etc
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Previous experience providing customer-facing desktop support
- Experience participating in the implementation and support of enterprise wide systems (e.g. Google Workspace, Dropbox, Okta, Zoom, etc.) as well as experience auditing systems.
- Experiencing working in and managing an Active Directory environment
- Experience supporting end users on Windows, Mac, and Linux
- MECM/SCCM experience imaging machines, providing remote support, and installing and deploying applications
- Intermediate (or better) knowledge of IT Service Management concepts such as Incident Management, Service Management, Change Management, Configuration Management and Service Level Management
- Previous experience in supporting users both in office and working remotely
- Jira, Confluence, and Jira Service Management experience
- AWS and Infrastructure experience a plus
- Networking and security experience a plus
- Scripting and automation experience a plus
- Familiarity with a startup environment
- Relevant IT certifications (AWS Cloud Practitioner) or Linux are a plus
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.