Engineering R&D Project Manager
Cambridge, MA /
R&D Team /
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The SPARC tokamak will be a cutting-edge engineering system, pushing the forefront of superconducting magnet technology. There are a number of subsystems that will require proof-of-concept demonstrations during the design and initial construction phase. CFS is looking for a rising, early-career leader of small engineering teams to be the Engineering R&D Project Manager for these demonstrations.
This team member will:
- work within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists and engineers as part of collaborative sponsored research projects at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center;
- lead small engineering teams through the planning, design, procurement, commissioning, and demonstration of prototype engineering subsystems;
- report on progress to the Head of SPARC Design and the SPARC Project Manager; and
- work with the rest of the project management team on maintaining standard project management documentation and controls.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering field (e.g., mechanical, electrical);
- risen quickly in their responsibilities from an individual contributor to team leader;
- led at least one complex engineering R&D project from conception through completion;
- project management professional (PMP) certification is preferred;
- an ability to clearly express and critique ideas;
- an emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity; and
- a drive towards commercially viable solutions.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.