R&D Technician Supervisor
Somerville, MA /
Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated R&D Technician supervisor. The Technician supervisor is leading our high performing team consisting of a multitude of different skill sets responsible for supervising the team of technicians building prototype superconducting magnet parts and assemblies with limited documentation. Within this role you will be guiding a highly skilled and fast paced team utilizing non- traditional paths to achieve our common goal, a Carbon free world. The ideal candidate will have proven leadership experience and exceptional people skills. They’ll be working cross functionally with other internal members to develop and manage production team members and have a passion for always improving.
This team member will:
- Supervise a team of technicians that are building R&D electromechanical parts and assemblies and commissioning of future production equipment
- Execute on plans, priorities, and schedules provided by the Production planner, Manufacturing management or Daily meetings with Engineering and organize workflow by assigning responsibilities to the proper people
- Establish safety plans working closely with EHS and work area cleanliness standards and ensure they are met by all technicians
- Develop and run training programs for key technician skill sets
- Manage and approve timecards and perform reviews for all direct reports
- Guide in R&D and prototype hardware builds with minimal documentation and oversight meeting specifications, and test instructions
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement and Lean/5S
- Lead problem solving initiatives within team and encourages team atmosphere
- Set daily/weekly/monthly objectives and communicating them to employees
- Perform other related job duties related to the job, as assigned by management
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High school diploma/equivalency certificate or higher
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a leadership role in a manufacturing setting
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience with a variety of technical skills such as but not limited to mechanical and electrical assembly, plumbing, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, soldering, and wiring.
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with lean manufacturing, 5S, and Six Sigma principles
- Experience with winding equipment of any type is a plus
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.