Senior Service Desk Engineer
Corporate Operations – IT /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The candidate will take on a crucial role as the Senior Service Desk Engineer at Milpitas, overseeing IT services to ensure employees receive top-notch support. This involves monitoring and measuring services, collaborating with the local team to identify IT needs, and communicating them to the rest of the team. If you're an experienced service desk professional or aspiring systems administrator with a passion for engineering projects, this role offers the opportunity to be the primary point of contact and escalation for IT issues. Reporting to the IT Service Desk Manager, the Senior Service Desk Engineer will closely collaborate with the infrastructure team on foundational projects, architecture, and security. Beyond being a skilled "ticket slayer," the ideal candidate will act as a diplomatic liaison for users, demonstrating natural leadership, tackling technical challenges, and actively seeking solutions for systemic issues and process enhancements.
This team member will:
- Be responsible for the IT services at Milpitas, ensuring employees receive the highest level of support from IT as a whole
- Be responsible for monitoring and measuring services, as well as discussing with the local team any needs for IT services and report them back to the Service Desk Manager
- Drive the adoption of CFS standard tools ( Jira / Confluence, Google Drive and other software and controls) and culture at the Milpitas site to match that of HQ so that all of CFS is unified in its methods for achieving CFS’s goals
- Work day to day with members of our IT team to assist in engineering projects and various tasks as needed
- Provide rotational off-hours support as well as occasional after-hours availability for system upgrades, etc.
- Implementation and support of enterprise solutions such as Mobile Device Management, Identity and Access Management, Enterprise Anti-Malware, Imaging, etc.
- Evolve current processes with an eye towards automating the repetitive tasks so the humans can focus on solving the hard problems
- Support the technical onboarding experience for new CFS employees making sure they have the equipment and tools to be successful
- Assess unusual circumstances and uses sophisticated analytical and problem solving techniques to identify causes
- Enhance relationships and networks with senior internal/external partners who are not familiar with the subject matter often requiring persuasion. Adapts style to differing audiences and often advises others on difficult matters
- Assist in the management of end user devices throughout their entire life cycle, including procurement, configuration, maintenance, and disposal
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Strong previous experience providing customer-facing desktop support in a formal or informal leadership role
- Experience participating in the implementation and support of enterprise wide systems (e.g. G Suite, Okta, Zoom, etc.) as well as experience auditing systems.
- Experiencing working in and understanding of an Active Directory / Azure AD environment
- Experience supporting end users on Windows, Mac, and Linux
- JAMF, MECM/SCCM or Intune experience imaging machines, providing remote support, and supporting remote installation of applications
- Previous experience in supporting users both in office and working remotely
- Jira, Confluence, and Jira Service Management experience
- AWS and Infrastructure experience a plus
- Networking and security experience a plus
- Scripting and automation experience a plus
- Linux experience a plus
- Familiarity with the organized chaos that comes within a startup environment
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Comfortable and skilled with resolving problems with little or no direct experience on the issues (being good at fixing things you don’t have any knowledge of, using a great baseline of technical knowledge and people skills)
- Preferred experience in a mixed technology environment with Microsoft, Google and Apple products
- Relevant IT certifications (Comptia A+ N+, Security +)
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
$150,000 - $250,000 a year
Salary range for this full-time position + equity + benefits. The actual salary will depend on level, location, qualifications, and experience. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.