Head of Human Resources
Cambridge, MA /
Operations – Operations /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS's people and culture will determine our success. We're looking for an experienced HR leader to partner with the executive team to create the culture we aspire to have - a culture of freedom and responsibility, of constructive debate and a diversity of perspectives, and of execution, integrity, and treating people well. Our goal is to build an HR function that people will someday write books about. In our HR leader, we're looking for a person with substantial HR experience mixed with a strong desire to innovate, upside seek, and redefine the impact HR can have on an organization.
This team member will:
- Partner with the executive team to bring out the best in our people and processes, empowering all teams to reach their maximum growth potential
- High-Functioning Teams: Build and run an HR function that embeds throughout the organization and proactively supports the organization's leaders to be even better, every day, through guidance, coaching, and team building
- Innovate: Geek out about HR, company culture, DEI, organizational design, incentives, and creating a world-class place to work. Propose organizational designs and changes as appropriate.
- DEIB: Partner with CFS Leadership in our passion for creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment. Foster a culturally rich and diverse workplace, including culture-building activities and other events that foster teamwork and inclusion
- Data-Driven: Provide data-driven analysis to the leadership team and propose recommendations. Build a people-science approach using clear metrics and analytics to inform strategies and policies.
- Build & Manage the HR Function:
- Set CFS's HR strategies around culture, compensation philosophies, job titles, annual reviews, employee benefits, and other policies.
- Manage our People Operations team to implement these policies. Ensure compliance with all Federal and State requirements related to HR.
- Lead our Talent Acquisition team during a period of high growth. Forecast hiring needs and execute to the plan.
- Collaborate with Accounting and Finance on company-wide personnel budgeting
- Create a learning development platform and curriculum for CFS’ team, including training for culture, values, policies, safety, and management and leadership skills
- Values: Consistently demonstrate the company’s core values of Execution, Impact, Self-Critique, and Integrity
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 10+ years of HR experience, including as the most senior HR Professional in the company
- HR wonk with at least 15 HR-related books on their bookshelf. Desire to innovate and collaborate. Have a vision and be able to execute on that vision.
- Specific expertise in organizational design
- Specific expertise in facilitating high-functioning teams
- Experience building an HR function in a rapidly growing startup to scale, with a focus on achieving the right balance between structure/process and speed/flexibility
- Experience in a technical environment, collaborating with teams of engineers, scientists, and other specialists
- Advanced degree in the HR field and/or certifications would be a plus. PhD in Industrial Organizational Psychology is preferred but not required
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.