Mechanical Engineer - Process Systems
Engineering – Systems Engineering /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This role is responsible for designing and overseeing the implementation of SPARC Plant Utility Systems. The main focus is on designing efficient, reliable and safe systems that meet specific needs of SPARC.
The ideal candidate for this role is comfortable with learning a variety of new technical topics and being proactive to apply that knowledge to ensure that the utility system development and implementation is successful in SPARC’s mission.
Candidates interested in this role should have experience and interest in working on the following systems:
- Cooling water system
- Process gas distribution system
This team member will:
- Design and develop SPARC plant systems
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders , including vendors and contractors, to ensure seamless integration of the utility systems with overall plant design
- Perform engineering calculations, simulations, and analyses to ensure system efficiency, reliability, and compliance with industry standards
- Create detailed engineering drawings, specifications, and other technical documentation for construction, installation, commissioning and operations
- Develop and implement testing and validation protocols to guarantee the performance and reliability of utility systems
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field
- 5 years of work experience
- Proven experience in designing and implementing utility systems within industrial plants
- Experience generating standard process system engineering documentation (e.g. PFDs, P&IDs, equipment lists)
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience leading a team of contractors and vendors
- Integrated plant engineering software (e.g. AVEVA)
- Process modeling (e.g. AVEVA Process Simulation, Simcenter Flomaster, Aspen HYSYS, )
- Ability to perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Willing to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.