Head of Communications and Digital Engagement
Cambridge, MA /
Operations Team /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The Head of Communications and Digital Engagement will work collaboratively with the broader team to tell the company story to the world. This person will lead the implementation of the overall communications strategy during an aggressive company growth phase. This includes proactive management of the corporate narrative, messaging, media relations, executive presentations, website, digital and social media strategy and content creation with a creative support team.
This role will report to the Chief Movement Builder and is part of team that is systematically working to create a movement for fusion by converting an entire landscape of stakeholders into supporters of this credible solution to climate change.
This team member will:
- Develop the near-term and long-term strategies to tell our story and create supporters for bringing commercial fusion to the world
- Own and manage the company’s overall communications strategy, including budget and protocols for public relations, media relations, and internal communications
- Draft communications including op-eds, blog posts, press releases, presentations, award applications and company materials
- Oversee the digital strategy and creation of digital / social media content, implementing performance metrics to optimize strategy
- Support events and experiences that connect stakeholders to the company including trade shows, tours, milestone announcements, etc.
- Play a critical role in creating and supporting thought leadership opportunities for executive level team
- Enhance and protect the company’s reputation through plans, tools and training, including media training and crisis communication planning
- Collaborate cross functionally to create outsized impact with media and key stakeholders for industry, company events and commercialization milestones
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or related degree is preferred
- 10+ years in public relations, media relations, digital /social media, and/or relevant external communication roles
- Previous experience working in or managing PR firms, vendors and / or creative agencies
- Experience building digital media platforms and increasing audience engagement is preferred
- Experience working with executive level team is preferred
- Experience working in energy, clean tech, renewables and/or other tough tech sectors a plus
- Ability to work well in dynamic, start-up culture and balance developing strategies with executing detailed plans
- Strong strategic communications instincts and ability to develop multiple, innovative channels of communication to support a movement for fusion energy
- Strong writing skills with experience simplifying complicated topics and changing attitudes of a diverse set of stakeholders
- Understanding of the relevant media landscape and knowledge of relevant platforms to track and measure impact of communications and digital engagement
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.