Head of Communications
Cambridge, MA /
Movement Building – Communications & Marketing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS is collaborating with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with new groundbreaking high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. The mission is to deploy fusion power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To execute this plan, we are looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skill sets and experience that relate to this role.
The Head of Communications will work collaboratively with the broader team to tell the company story to the world. This person will be responsible for executing the communication strategy during an aggressive company growth phase. This role will partner closely across the organization to ensure consistent messages that reinforce CFS’ priorities, values, and mission. It requires an individual that can deliver in a fast-paced, start-up environment and is versatile in moving from developing big picture strategy to hands-on delivery of projects. This person will be the company media spokesperson, leading key storytelling opportunities with top tier media, television, documentary films and other communications opportunities. This person will also be point for managing the CEO engagement at key external events, including identifying and prioritizing opportunities, developing presentations, and coordinating CEO’s program onsite. You will manage a two-person team that includes a Communications & Digital Engagement Lead and Events & Experiences Manager, as well as identifying and managing external resources / agency support when needed.
This person reports to a c-suite level role, the Chief Movement Builder, and will be part of a team that is systematically working to create a movement for fusion energy by inspiring a broad range of stakeholders on the benefits of this credible new power generation source to combat climate change.
This team member will:
- Own and evolve the CFS story aligned with the company’s values and mission and find innovative ways to share our audacious goals and tremendous progress towards those goals through diverse messaging platforms to exponentially grow the number of supporters for bringing commercial fusion to the world on the fastest timeline possible
- Develop CFS’ communications strategy to support company business objectives
- Serve as company spokesperson and primary point of contact for media
- Create and maintain messages (e.g., talking points, statements, Q&As)
- Develop external communications including op-eds, blog posts, press releases, presentations, and other company materials
- Build thought leadership profile for key members of the CFS leadership team through proactive placement and preparation for external opportunities e.g., panels, keynotes, speaking events - including developing briefings, contributed content and strategic press opportunities
- Work in collaboration with People Operations to develop and execute a robust internal communications plan (including key products e.g., newsletter, updates, etc.) as well as critical culture building initiatives
- Work collaboratively and cross functionally to develop external communications campaigns surrounding key company milestones
- Own and manage CFS policies and protocols for public relations, media relations, and internal communications
- Oversee strategic message development for events and experiences that connect stakeholders to the company including trade shows, tours, milestone announcements, etc. utilizing best practices, tools, and training
- Oversee the digital strategy and key metrics aligned with communications strategy
- Supervisory responsibilities will include two direct reports: Communications & Digital Engagement Lead, Events & Experience Manager
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, business, marketing, or related degree is preferred
- 10+ years of corporate communications experience
- Proven experience working with media and industry influencers
- Significant experience speaking on the record to reporters
- Demonstrated experience developing communications strategies to support business objectives
- Experience helping high-growth companies navigate various communications situations
- Experience supporting executive level external engagement
- Proven track record of coordinating multiple programs simultaneously, moving projects forward, and developing and implementing solution-oriented strategies while anticipating future demands and opportunities
- Experience managing teams and contractors
- Experience with oversight of digital media and event management a strong plus
- Experience working in energy, clean tech, renewables and/or other start-up, tough tech sectors a strong plus
- Ability to work well in dynamic, start-up culture and balance developing strategies with executing detailed plans
- Strong strategic communications instincts and ability to develop multiple, innovative channels of communication to support a movement for fusion energy
- Ability to serve as company spokesperson and cultivate / manage relationships with broad range of media
- Strong writing skills with experience simplifying complicated topics
- Understanding of the relevant media landscape and knowledge of relevant platforms to track and measure impact of communications and digital engagement
- Have a demonstrated ability to think creatively, innovate, take ownership—and collaborate.
- Be highly organized and detail-oriented
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.