Cambridge, MA /
Operations Team /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS is looking for an operations engineer to develop processes and systems as we grow our operations from research & development to full-scale production. The operations engineer will be responsible for streamlining manufacturing and quality operations and creating procedures, templates, and training to support these teams.
This team member will:
- Develop systems and processes to grow and scale our manufacturing and quality operations from R&D to full-scale production
- Create the processes, procedures, and templates to build out the manufacturing and quality “toolbox” for areas such as capital equipment purchases, factory/site acceptance testing, quality inspection, value stream mapping, and statistical process control
- Lead process development for ERP (enterprise resource planning) integration for systems such as nonconformance management, configuration control, asset management, and manufacturing work instructions
- Author and facilitate training for the operations team on topics including Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis), and DFM (design for manufacturability)
- Support factory simulation modeling and build out of the future manufacturing facility
- Work collaboratively with a cross-functional team of designers, manufacturing engineers, technicians, quality specialists, and supply chain specialists to brainstorm and innovate on efficient operations for the company
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these experiences and skills:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering field is required
- 5+ years' experience as an operations, manufacturing, quality, or industrial/lean engineer in a production environment
- Experience developing processes and procedures to transition from R&D into production
- Project management experience working with internal customers and external vendors to deliver projects within specified timelines and budgets
- Experience with the application of Lean Six Sigma methodologies
- Experience with ERP (enterprise resource planning) process development and implementation
- Strong drive for continuous improvement and operational efficiency
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting/problem-solving skills
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.