Head of Human Resources
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS is looking for a world-class People Operations leader to design, build, and manage the company’s People Ops function, including HR and Talent Acquisition. Our team and our culture are our strongest assets, and this is a key role in emulating and instilling that culture. The position will report directly to the COO. Apply today if you’re passionate about making a difference in the world, have VP-level experience in HR and/or People Ops functions, and would thrive in a fast paced, high-tech startup that needs to hire quickly, train well, and continue to build and instill a culture that is second-to-none.
This team member will:
- Build and manage CFS’s People Operations function, including HR and Talent Acquisition
- Partner with CFS Leadership to support and emphasize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion across the organization
- Build and run a strong HR sub-function to create policies and manage our practices around compensation, job offers, immigration, job titles, onboarding, employee relations, org charts, training, culture, and values. Manage all employee health and safety programs, benefits, annual review/performance evaluation and compensation discussions
- Oversee the Talent Acquisition sub-function including FTE’s, Contractors, the intern/co-op programs, community outreach and university speaker series
- Help create and formalize our HR processes to ensure a consistently positive employee experience
- Create a world-class training platform and curriculum for CFS’s team, including training for culture, values, policies, safety, and management and leadership skills.
- Lead proactive culture-building activities and other events that foster teamwork and inclusion
- Consistently demonstrate the company’s core values of Execution, Impact, Integrity and Self-critique
- Support a highly effective HR service culture for all employees, in a setting where excellence is the norm
- Lead all HRIS efforts, partnering with the Head of IT and external vendors related to the HR function
- Manage the People Ops budget and collaborate with Accounting and Finance on company-wide personnel budgeting
- Ensure compliance with all Federal and State requirements related to HR
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 15+ years of HR generalist experience with at least 5+ years at either a VP level or as the most senior HR Professional and overseeing an HR team within a rapidly growing organization
- Experience building an HR or People Ops function in a rapidly growing startup, with a focus on achieving the right balance between structure/process and speed/flexibility
- Self-driven, collaborative and able to work concurrently on tactical, day-to-day activities while also developing the function’s broader strategy and budget
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Advanced degree in the HR field and/or certifications would be a plus
- HR experience in a technical environment, collaborating with teams of engineers, scientists, and other specialists, is preferred
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.