Cambridge, MA /
Manufacturing Team /
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
High-temperature superconductors (HTS) have reached commercial maturity and present an opportunity to change the way superconducting magnets are built and used. These magnets are the key technology for building a fusion power plant that will revolutionize clean energy production for the world. CFS is ramping up its internal production capabilities and is looking for a Technician Supervisor.
This team member will:
- supervise a team of technicians to build electromechanical parts and assemblies for HTS magnets
- execute on production plans, priorities, and schedules provided by manufacturing management
- organize daily task lists and write daily updates and quality reports
- establish safety plans and work area cleanliness standards and ensure they are met by all technicians
- develop and run training programs for key technician skill sets
- manage and approve time cards and perform biannual reviews for all direct reports
- perform R&D and prototype hardware builds with minimal documentation and oversight
- perform production hardware builds according to procedures, specifications, and test instructions
- troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- an associate degree or higher
- a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a leadership role in a manufacturing setting
- a minimum of 7 years’ experience with a variety of technical skills such as mechanical and electrical assembly, plumbing, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, soldering, and wiring. Experience with winding equipment of any type is a plus
- experience with lean manufacturing, 5S, and Six Sigma principles
- a commitment to safety and quality
- the desire to work in and motivate a team in a fast-paced, startup R&D environment with daily changes
- excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness with hands-on work
- a demonstrated ability in reading/understanding technical and electrical drawings, manuals, and reports. Experience navigating assemblies in 3D CAD software is a plus
- proficiency with MS Office products such as Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Visio
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.