CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
While CFS is focused on SPARC in the near term to demonstrate net energy production from fusion, we are beginning activities to scope out ARC, the first of a kind fusion power plant. CFS is seeking an ARC Physicist to assist with the design and scoping activities for the first power plant.
This team member will:
- work within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists and engineers as part of collaborative sponsored research projects at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
- assist in the development of an integrated modeling workflow at a fidelity that drives design decisions and interfaces with non-plasma physics subsystems (e.g. magnets, ICRF, cryosystems, etc.)
- analyze and document sensitivities and confidence levels for the physics design and high-level engineering design of ARC
- use integrated modeling tools to assess tradeoffs in the design of different ARC subsystems
- work with the ARC techno-economics analysis group to determine power plant designs which lead to the most economic route to fusion energy
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- PhD in engineering, physics, or a closely related field
- experience working with magnetic confinement devices (ideally tokamaks) is preferred but not required
- proficiency in Python
- experience working on engineering design of systems
- an ability to step into new roles as necessary in order to contribute to the most critical aspects of a project
- an ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- an emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity
- a drive towards commercially viable solutions.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.