Senior/Staff Software Engineer- ML Platform
San Francisco, USA
Engineering – Data Science
Employee - FT
Change.org is searching for a Senior or Staff Software Engineer to help us build a next-generation data processing and machine learning platform and support all our internal data-facing operations.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 80m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 150 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We’re profitable, growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
You will be based out of our San Francisco headquarters and report to our Head of Data Intelligence. As a key member of our Data Intelligence pack, you will be building a next-generation ML platform to empower us to rapidly build and deploy complex features and ML models to production at scale.
This is a software engineering role, where a large part of an engineer’s time is spent writing code with the remainder being spent on designing and architecting systems, tuning and debugging, supporting production systems and supporting our data scientists. Does that sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
A Senior Software Engineer at Change is someone who can work effectively at scale, manage their own priorities and make appropriate progress with minimal supervision. Typically, Senior Data Engineers have 3-5 years of relevant engineering experience as well as a mastery of one skill, such as developing pipelines using a distributed computation framework like Spark, implementing components of event-driven architectures and event repositories, large scale ranking applications, etc.
A Staff Software Engineer at Change is not only able to work effectively and efficiently at scale, but they also set direction and priorities for a small number of adjacent engineers.
When we get busy, it’s likely that we’re making headline news somewhere. It is a distinct pleasure to know we are providing a personalized experience that is empowering people all over the world. If you love services, big data, distributed systems, have an interest in ML and have a passion for making a difference in the world, we’d love to talk with you.
- Design, development, and implementation of Spark pipelines using Scala
- Produce unit and system tests for all code
- Participate in design discussions to improve our existing data processing, storage, querying, and machine learning frameworks
- Use modern infrastructure tools to set up and improve our deployment processes
- Maintain, debug, tune and monitor our Redshift warehouse, data/ML pipelines, and internal tools
The most important capabilities for this role are:
- Superior knowledge with at least two of the following: Spark, MapReduce, HDFS, RDBMS
- Exceptional Scala (preferred) or Java programming skills
- Demonstrated aptitude at building large-scale distributed systems (typically at least 3 years of hands on work experience)
- Experience using modern DevOps tools (Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.) for setting up performant scalable service deployments
Additional capabilities we'll consider:
- Experience working with Hadoop, HBase, Hive and similar large scale DB Technologies
- Previous experience working experience in Agile development processes
- 1+ years of experience with Machine Learning concepts
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure and AWS Big Data/Cloud compute/Data Warehousing technologies, as well as excellent SQL and scripting abilities
Why this role is so important to us:
- Our ability to rapidly build and deploy features and ML models to production is critical in our fight with fraudsters and abusers. Our ML platform is at the heart of this, and is made-up of high-quality, scalable and resilient platforms and systems that power feature engineering, model engineering and prediction.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time role based in San Francisco, CA (USA) in our office in Potrero Hill. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of.
We are accepting applications until April 30, 2020.
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability status.