Senior Software Engineering Manager (ML Platform)
San Francisco, USA /
Engineering – Data Science /
Employee - FT
Change.org is searching for a Senior Software Engineering Manager to help us lead the development of our next-generation ML platform and corresponding team to support all of our internal machine learning operational needs at large scale.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 80m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 150 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We’re growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
We are looking for a Senior Manager who is great at (ML platform design and architecture, hands-on Spark and Scala skills, and people management in agile environments) at scale and has a passion for expanding our platform to mobilize hundreds of millions of people to take deeper civic action.
You will be based out of our San Francisco headquarters and report to our Director of ML and AI, Elena Ikonomovska. As a key member of our ML&AI Platform Squad/Data and ML/AI Pack, you’ll be designing and building a machine learning platform to empower us to rapidly build and deploy complex features and ML models at scale, as well as developing the team responsible for its success.
This is a mix of management and hands-on software development, where part of your time is spent on road map planning, designing and architecting systems, writing code and optimizations, troubleshooting live production systems and the remainder being spent on project management, mentoring, hiring and developing our software (and potentially machine learning) engineers for ML platform. Does that sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
You’re a perfect fit for this role if your superpower is (a knack for architecting ML platforms with a bias to thoughtful action: think through a problem quickly, and then quickly build; strong Spark/Scala coding skills and experience; & ability to inspire, communicate clearly, collaborate and empathise with various roles).
- Defining the vision and providing technical leadership for the design, development, and implementation of the machine learning platform.
- Manage the team’s road map and lead technical projects. Set the direction and priorities for a growing team of software and machine learning engineers, define goals and ensure quality of execution.
- Architect new systems and components.
- Proactively refactor the codebase to improve its quality.Troubleshoot scaling and deployment issues. Ensure our signal and model workflows, recommendation pipelines, and EMR clusters are maintained, tuned and monitored.
- Work in an agile development environment (Kanban, iterative development, short release cycles).
- Mentor, develop and hire talent for the ML platform team.
The most important capabilities for this role are:
- Superior knowledge with at least two of the following: Spark, Storm, MapReduce, HadoopExceptional Scala programming skills
- Demonstrated capacity of building large-scale distributed machine learning platforms (typically at least 3 years of hands on work experience)
- Experience managing engineers in a fast-paced
- Agile development environment (usually that’s 2+ years in a technical leadership or management role)Ability to listen, communicate, collaborate, mentor and empathize with both engineers, data scientists and PMs
- User-centric mindset and a curious attitude centered around learning
Additional capabilities we'll consider:
- Experience working with Hadoop, HBase, Hive and similar large scale DB Technologies
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time role based in San Francisco (remote for now). Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of.
We are accepting applications November 1st, 2020
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.