Senior Director of Engineering
San Francisco, USA /
Engineering – Engineering /
Employee - FT
Change.org is searching for a Senior Engineering Director to join the Engineering team to lead our software development team in a fast-growing, mission-focused organization that is transforming the world one impactful petition at a time.
We are a public benefit corporation and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world, with 80m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 50 engineering staff, and a new revenue model that has grown the company by 500% in the past 2 years. We’re profitable, growing quickly, and rapidly scaling our impact. We have local teams supporting citizen-led campaigns in 18 of the world’s largest democracies, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour - from championing social justice in America, to strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa, to stopping corruption in Italy, to fighting the exploitation of the environment in Indonesia.
We are looking for a leader who is passionate and experienced in building great engineering teams and amazing consumer internet products at scale in a highly collaborative and in both an intellectually and technically challenging environment.
You will manage, mentor, lead, and inspire a team of exceptional software engineers, while building a culture that is open, collaborative, diverse and inclusive. You will be working with cross-functional teams to deliver high-value products that provide clearly identified enhancements to our offerings, but are designed and architected sustainably so the value continues to deliver well into the future.
Reporting to the CTO, this position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area with engineers in the SF Bay Area and selected additional locations.
- Own the Recruiting and Growth of our Application Development Team: Recruit and retain the top talent in competitive markets such as the SF Bay Area, implement the team structure and strategy to ensure diversity and inclusion as we scale, and develop the engineering leaders.
- Deliver Timely and Innovative Product Features: Participate in product and engineering roadmap design to drive revenue growth, user engagement and user expansion through rapid, effective execution of an ambitious product plan.
- Improve Performance, Reliability and Process: Collaborate with other leaders to continuously evaluate and update engineering processes to improve system availability, reliability, and performance. Continuously seek to optimize the work processes and tools for engineers to increase their job satisfaction and productivity.
- Foster and Build our Engineering Culture: Partner with People team and other engineering leaders to build a collaborative, innovative and inclusive engineering culture. Be the transformational leader in our Diversity & Inclusion journey.
- Team & People Management: Demonstrated success in recruiting, retaining, coaching, and mentoring diverse engineering talent in a competitive market. Expert in developing engineering leaders, team and culture building, and adept at conflict management.
- Collaboration & Communication: You maintain, develop, and nurture critical and broad cross-functional relationships in Product Development and across the company. You facilitate discussions at multiple organizational levels, adapt communication style for varying degrees of technical aptitude, coach engineering leaders on effective communication and believe feedback is a gift.
- Product Development: You have a breadth and depth of technical knowledge and understand how to guide engineering leaders to architect and implement user-centric consumer applications. You are an inventive problem solver, have a high level of accountability and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- 10+ years of successful engineering leadership at large-scale consumer internet software companies.
- Experience managing engineering teams of twenty people or more.
- Experience building and nurturing an inclusive engineering culture and applications that focus on high quality, frequent delivery, high performance, and the most impactful business results.
- Demonstrated experience with Agile techniques including Scrum, Kanban, release planning, continuous integration, continuous testing, paired programming, etc.
- Experience implementing consumer applications that included collaboration with AI/ML researchers and data scientists is a plus.
- Experience with cloud-based technologies and platforms, expertise working with AWS is a plus.
- Mission first: You are low-ego and believe that the first priority should be advancing the mission of the organization.
- Dedication to learning: You are open to and create a culture of honest, direct, regular, compassionate feedback and dedicated to fostering a culture of learning.
- Commitment to diversity: You have a deep commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive team, demonstrated through such things investing heavily in recruiting people from a wide range of backgrounds, removing unconscious bias in interviews, and ensuring staff can bring their full selves to work.
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. That sure sounds nice, doesn’t it? But everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it… We invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field.
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Expecting a baby? Yay! We love kids and parents, and if the timing works out such that your baby arrives soon after you’re hired, we’ll happily give you paid parental leave and see you in a few months.
We’re working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We’re just getting started and hope you’ll join us.