Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
With over 270 million users in 196 countries, Change.org is the world’s largest technology platform for social change. Our team spans 18 countries and empowers hundreds of millions of people to have a voice and fight injustice. We’re a social impact business, and we’re aiming to build a world where no one is powerless and where creating change is a part of everyday life.
Change.org is looking for a Senior or Staff Software engineer to strengthen its San Francisco office.
As a Software Engineer, you will be part of a close-knit feature team. You’ll collaborate with our product, design and analytics teams but also with our country teams to build an incredible product with strong technical challenges while knowing that your impact will be helping to make the world a better place. You will also use your experience and skills to facilitate knowledge sharing and cultivate expertise and best practices within and beyond the engineering department.
A Senior Software Engineer at Change is someone who can work effectively at scale, manages their own priorities and makes appropriate progress with minimal supervision. Typically, Senior Software Engineers have 4-5 years of relevant engineering experience as well as a mastery of one skill outside of pure coding such as monitoring, integration testing or production support.
A Staff Software Engineer at Change is not only able to work effectively and efficiently at scale, but they also set direction and priorities for a small number of adjacent engineers.
Here's what you'll do as part of our team:
- Work with different technologies, languages and frameworks in all layers of the web stack, from Front-end to Infrastructure As Code
- Architect and design new features that use React, GraphQL and Node.js
- Ensure availability and reliability of our services in production
- Work in an agile development environment (Kanban, iterative development, short release cycles)
- Drive, define and teach best engineering practices
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise
You could be a good fit if you have:
- Significant experience engineering at scale (e.g. experience with large scale distributed systems and microservice architectures)
- Experience working as part of a team that has shipped a production React.js application
- Hands on experience designing and implementing performant web architecture
- You write clean, extensible, well-tested code
- An ability and desire to mentor other engineers
Nice to have skills/experience:
- Solid understanding of performance and scalability
- Experience working with Elixir, Ruby
- Experience working with GraphQL (preferred) or REST APIs
- Familiarity with SQL and data stores (prefer MySQL, Redis, Redshift)
- Experience with AWS or other Cloud Infrastructure
- Experience with containers (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with infrastructure tools like Chef or Terraform
- Experience as a technical lead
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.