Software Engineer [LIVE in GH]
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
As a Software Engineer for the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, you will create technology products to support our mission in education, science, and political advocacy. In this position, you will work with colleagues from a variety of different roles across the company as well as external partners, including educators, scientists, researchers, and policy makers. You will work with these stakeholders to conceptualize and define engineering projects and goals, and you will build and deploy software to accomplish these goals.
The position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto headquarters and/or our Biohub location.
- Apply expert software development skills to a wide range of coding projects
- Create ad-hoc technology tools for external partners
- Suggest, collect and synthesize requirements and create effective project roadmap
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field
- 5+ years of programming experience
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, and shell scripts
- Experience with front-end web development technologies
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience developing and debugging in C/C++ and Java a plus
- Experience in one or more of the following areas a plus: machine learning, recommendation systems, pattern recognition, large-scale data mining, artificial intelligence, filesystems, server architectures, and distributed systems
- Proven ability to independently define project requirements and ship products
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.