Palo Alto, CA
As a Software Engineer for the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, you will create technology products to support our mission in education, science, and political advocacy. In this position, you will work with colleagues from a variety of different roles across the company as well as external partners, including educators, scientists, researchers, and policy makers. You will work with these stakeholders to conceptualize and define engineering projects and goals, and you will build and deploy software to accomplish these goals.
The position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto headquarters and/or our Biohub location.
- Apply expert software development skills to a wide range of coding projects
- Create ad-hoc technology tools for external partners
- Suggest, collect and synthesize requirements and create effective project roadmap
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field
- 5+ years of programming experience
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, and shell scripts
- Experience with front-end web development technologies
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience developing and debugging in C/C++ and Java a plus
- Experience in one or more of the following areas a plus: machine learning, recommendation systems, pattern recognition, large-scale data mining, artificial intelligence, filesystems, server architectures, and distributed systems
- Proven ability to independently define project requirements and ship products
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. We make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.