Principal of Education Ventures
Palo Alto, CA
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. Founded in December 2015 by Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg, CZI will use the full range of its resources to, within a single generation: provide each person, regardless of background, access to personalized learning experiences that enable them to practice, lead and create in their chosen academic and professional domains; prevent, cure, and manage all disease; and build vibrant, inclusive and equitable communities in the Bay Area and many others globally
Within CZI, Education Ventures invests in innovative for-profit companies that are transforming lifelong learning globally while building scalable, sustainable businesses. Our investments, several of which pre-date the launch of CZI, include AltSchool, Andela, Bridge International Academies, BYJU’s, Ellevation Education, MasteryConnect, Newsela, and Volley, among others. As our Principal of Education Ventures, you will report into our Managing Director of Education Ventures and be instrumental in leading the execution of new investments as well as actively engaging in the monitoring and support of portfolio companies.
You will also be regularly collaborating with the broader Chan Zuckerberg Education team on initiatives that cut across our impact investing, grant making, engineering support and policy work to advance our overall mission.
An ideal candidate would have extensive experience in venture capital as well as strong knowledge of the education or education technology landscape, and care deeply about impact through education.
- Full execution of education venture investments including strategically identifying, evaluating, structuring, negotiating and executing new investments
- Responsible for taking a leading role in running impact, business, financial, market and legal diligence
- Actively supporting portfolio companies, including board involvement where appropriate
- Developing investment and impact theses, measuring results and driving learning
- 10+ years of relevant experience preferred
- Background in venture capital, fund of fund management, strategy consulting or investment banking, particularly in the education space
- Demonstrated commitment to opportunity and equity in the workplace and broader society
- Passionate about impact through education
- Humble, collaborative and supportive, as well as a great colleague and manager
- Strong knowledge and insight into the education, training or education technology landscape
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills, as well as demonstrated business and investment judgment
- Proven leadership with high integrity and conscientiousness
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Poise and ability to interface with C-suite level executives and fellow investors
- MBA preferred
- Education technology operating experience
- Impact experience -- professionally or in meaningful volunteer roles
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equality. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.