Director of Advocacy
Palo Alto, CA
Policy and Advocacy
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities.
A critical part of ensuring success in our mission is to engage with people across the country, and eventually the world, to mobilize them in debates and to find effective and creative ways for their voices to be heard. As our Director of Advocacy, you will be responsible for building and implementing a strategic mobilization plan for each major CZI initiative, starting with our Education and Science work, around engaging the public through CZI and on behalf of key partner organizations.
There are no plans on the shelf, so you will have the pen and a wide mandate to innovate in data and analytics, digital and grassroots organizing, events and measurement. Candidate must be as comfortable in a room full of engineers discussing quantitative models as they are in the basement of a church rallying people to organize on behalf of criminal justice reform. You will eventually build out a team of subject matter experts who are as passionate as they are innovative about CZI’s core issue areas.
You will directly report to our CZI President of Policy and Advocacy. This position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto headquarters.
- Develop and implement grasstops and grassroots advocacy plans for our various focus areas
- Build lasting partnerships and assist our key partners, digital, offline and the full suite of additional mobilization tools
- Partner with our Technology team on analyzing data and building relevant tools
- Recruit and lead a team of subject matter experts by issue area
- Work directly with our policy, issue and communications teams in the pursuit of one holistic, synergistic plan
- 10+ years of extensive online and offline organizing experience
- Experience hiring and managing diverse teams
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Ability to go deep with engineers on data and tool discussions and drive the work
- Strong interpersonal skills as a collaborator, coach and facilitator
- Ability to be a sermonizer for CZI’s work, with the ability and desire to motivate others to get involved
- Ability to travel up to 20%
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equal opportunity. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.