Applied Scientist, Machine Learning and NLP
Palo Alto, CA
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. In January 2017, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative acquired Meta, a company that uses artificial intelligence to help scientists read, understand and prioritize millions of scientific papers as they are published. Meta’s tools can dramatically accelerate scientific progress and will move us closer to our goal to cure, prevent or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Our teams are working together to make the platform even more powerful and useful for the entire scientific community.
As an Applied Scientist, you will join our Data team to unlock scientific insights from science and technology publications. Our applied scientists are in charge of designing and evaluating new and improved capabilities in our system. Using state of the art Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing tools, you will tackle problems related to the generation of knowledge graphs and recommendation systems, extraction and disambiguation of scientific elements and relationships, and predictive capabilities.
This position is research focused, and requires both a track record of solving related problems in academia or industry, as well as solid coding skills. You will be required to take problems defined by business goals or customers, formulate an approach, collect and transform data, evaluate and iterate on the solutions, and, working closely with Software Engineers, to implement and verify in a production environment.
We are looking for diverse skill sets and background to offer new perspectives to old and new problems. We encourage our team to stay current and learn, and we offer personal and career growth opportunities.
- Design solutions for processing scientific publications such as author disambiguation, concept recognition, recommendation systems, relationship extraction and more
- Implement, test, and evaluate solutions following rigorous research methodology
- Generate detailed requirements and documentation, working closely with software engineers to bring the solutions to production systems
- Provide reports and ad-hoc analyses, supporting enterprise sales, marketing, and product design
- Keep up to date with advances in machine learning and natural language processing, as related to the data team’s roadmap
- . minimum, Ph.D. preferred in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related fields, with experience in machine learning or natural language processing
- Excellent communication and organizational skills a must
- Excellent coding skills in Java, Python, and/or Scala
- Experience with scikit-learn, Vowpal Wabbit, TensorFlow, GATE, or similar ML/NLP packages
- Proven track record of solving data driven problems, including problem definition, data exploration, solution proposal, implementation, testing, and evaluation
- Industry experience a plus
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equal opportunity. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.