Science Program Officer
Palo Alto, CA
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities.
In September 2016 we announced Chan Zuckerberg Science, whose goal is to develop science and technology that will make it possible to cure, prevent, and manage all diseases by the end of the century. Chan Zuckerberg Science will bring scientists and engineers together in new ways and build transformative technologies to advance all of science. As a Science Program Officer at CZI, you will work directly with the President of Science and play a leadership role in building and evaluating innovative research models for biomedical research. These programs will include Chan Zuckerberg-funded networks of external investigators in a variety of different organizations, as well as an internal Chan Zuckerberg Initiative engineering team that will help advance and accelerate their work.
The position is full-time and primarily based in our office at the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub in San Francisco, with some days spent in our Palo Alto headquarters. There are multiple positions available.
- Work with the President of Science to develop scientific programs and strategies, taking a long view of the basic science that can advance medicine over the next century
- Establish high quality, independent external scientific review boards and other structures to select appropriate external investigators and partners
- Organize and oversee specific scientific programs, acting as a project manager to present a scientific vision, mentor participating scientists, create interdisciplinary communities, and manage their relationships and possible conflicts
- Develop and implement criteria for evaluating investigators and programs
- Work creatively to integrate members of the Chan Zuckerberg engineering team with external investigators
- MD degree or PhD degree in a fundamental area of biology such as Cell Biology, Physiology, Genetics, Neuroscience, or Biochemistry
- 15+ years of high-level scientific management experience, either as principal investigator of a scientific research laboratory, or as a strategic leader in another area of scientific practice such as government, publishing, or a scientific research foundation
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership role that required a broad and deep understanding of many scientific areas outside of primary area of interest
- 5+ years of experience in community-building activities, such as convening scientists for meetings that promote full exchange of ideas
- 5+ years of experience in evaluating science for its quality and impact, individually and in partnership with others
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equality. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.