DevOps Systems Engineer
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
In February 2017, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative acquired Meta, a company that uses artificial intelligence to help scientists read, understand and prioritize millions of scientific papers as they are published. Meta’s tools can dramatically accelerate scientific progress and will move us closer to our goal to cure, prevent or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Our teams are working together to make the platform even more powerful and useful for the entire scientific community. As a Senior DevOps Systems Engineer, you will collaborate with the development teams in order to drive operational efficiency, systems performance, scalability and security, and continuous deployment. This position will help establish a strong DevOps culture and practice.
- Deploying, automating, maintaining and managing AWS and Google cloud based production systems, to ensure the availability, performance, scalability and security
- Build, release and configuration management of production systems
- System troubleshooting and problem solving across platform and application domains
- Driving architecture improvements, recommending process improvements
- Evaluate new technology options and vendor products
- Ensuring critical system security through the use of best in class cloud security solutions
- Establish a production class monitoring and metrics system as well as processes
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Ensure scalability for future growth
- DevOps: 5+ years experience as a DevOps Engineer in a 24x7 uptime Cloud based (AWS and GCP) environment, including automation experience with configuration management tools
- AWS: 3+ years experience with using a broad range of AWS technologies (e.g. EC2, RDS, ELB, EBS, S3, VPC, IAM, CloudWatch) to develop and maintain an AWS based cloud solution, with an emphasis on best practice cloud security
- Operating Systems: Deep understanding of Linux systems and administration
- CI/CD Tools: Extensive understanding of automation tools such as chef, puppet, Jenkins, docker
- Monitoring Tools: Experience with system monitoring tools (Sensu, Uchiwa, Nagios etc.)
- Problem Solving: Ability to analyze and resolve complex infrastructure resource and application deployment issues
- Scripting/Programming Skills: Solid scripting ability in any of the following: Bash, Ruby, Go, Python
- DB Skills: 2+ years administration experience (Postgresql, MySQL, Aurora)
- Big Data: Some knowledge of HBase, Hadoop, Thrift, Cassandra, Cloudera
- Agile Methodologies: Experience with Agile software development, project management methodologies
- Version Control: Experience administrating version control systems such as Github/Bitbucket
- Networking: Understanding network topologies and common network protocols and services (DNS, HTTP(S), SSH, FTP)
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.