Manager, Scientific Meetings and Reviews
Palo Alto, CA
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. In September 2016 we announced Chan Zuckerberg Science, which will support science and technology that will make it possible to cure, prevent, and manage all diseases by the end of the century. Chan Zuckerberg Science will bring scientists and engineers together in new ways and build transformative technologies to advance all of science. As the Manager of Scientific Meetings and Reviews, you will organize and oversee convenings of scientists to enable scientific collaboration, programmatic planning, and evaluation of scientific programs.
The Manager of Scientific Meetings and Reviews will work closely with scientific staff at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative to engage leaders of the external scientific community in our planning and evaluation processes: helping to select participants, managing interactions with them, scheduling the scientific programs, preparing essential documents and presentations, arranging travel and event logistics, and writing reports on the events and conclusions.
The position is full-time and based in our offices in Palo Alto, with up to two days a week at meeting sites in San Francisco and other locations in the Bay Area.
- Work closely with the President and Science Officers of Chan Zuckerberg Science to plan and schedule scientific workshops, review panels, and scientific advisory board meetings
- Serve as primary point of contact for attendees and external partners, invite and track responses, and follow up with key participants
- Manage all event logistics: Schedule and oversee local event planning, arrange essential audiovisual support for staff and external participants, and manage travel and related logistics for external participants
- Create and disseminate written reports summarizing event proceedings and conclusions
- Support broader organizational goals at Chan Zuckerberg Science, including assisting with hiring and training, meeting daily/weekly with Chan Zuckerberg Science team to assess priorities and manage projects, and supporting other high-priority projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years in scientific program administration, preferably in a research-intensive biomedical environment
- 5+ years experience in organizing academic and professional panels and events
- Excellent writing skills, with fast turnaround on essential documents
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Professional and tactful correspondence, with reliable follow-through
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Flexibility, integrity, independence, energy, responsibility
- Experience in one or more of the following areas a plus: social media, marketing, design, academic-community interactions, budgeting, digital platforms
- Please submit a cover letter.
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equity. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.