Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
We are looking for a highly motivated and technically proficient professional to manage our payroll function. We want someone who is detail-oriented and possesses strong communication skills since you'll be interacting daily with external vendors, cross-functional departments, and internal employees. We'd love to hear from you if this is an opportunity you're interested in!
- End to end management of all payroll processing (new hires, changes, terminations, retroactive payments, bonuses, and time reporting for hourly employees)
- Point of contact for all employee related payroll questions. Lead the implementation of processes and systems
- Drive metrics and identify areas of opportunity for automation and process improvement. Work closely with key business partners to facilitate and problem solve for specific payroll related matters
- Provide analysis on financial results (trends, performance metrics, and benchmarks)
- Provide expertise on payroll processing to ensure best practices
- Manage the payroll close process (calendar, reviews, reconciliations, analysis, and reporting)
- Review all payroll activities and ensure posts to the general ledger and payroll accounts are reconciled timely and accurately, including monthly payroll to GL reconciliations
- Record and review compensation related journal entries and reconciliations (i.e. bonus, severance, etc).
- Ensure adherence to internal control requirements, including maintenance of documentation for payroll related processes and providing recommendations, as appropriate
- Support external auditor requests, including research and analysis of audit questions. Perform special projects or other duties as requested
- Minimum of 6+ years of payroll experience
- Expertise with a payroll platform
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills, with a track record of successfully working with cross-functional business stakeholders
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with Excel (vlookup, pivot, etc.)
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit ourFacebook page.