Palo Alto, CA
The mission of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is to advance human potential and promote equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. As a computational biologist at CZI, you will help to invent approaches to support our mission in education, science, and political advocacy.
We are looking for a computational biologist with a passion for dealing with internet- and genome-scale datasets to work on projects such as a platform that will help cure infectious diseases and map every cell in the human body. Our team builds end-to-end solutions including large-scale clusters, data pipelines and search algorithms, complex biological models, software services and visualization systems. The position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto headquarters and at the CZ Biohub in San Francisco.
- Analyzing and visualizing genomic sequence data, imaging data, or other biological data
- Working side-by-side and remotely with research scientists to collaborate on projects and to identify promising tools and technologies
- Building prototype implementations of algorithms and interfaces
- Working alongside software engineers to turn prototypes into production code
- Acting as a liaison between different technical and scientific communities within and outside of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- BS degree in a quantitative field
- 3+ years experience of data modeling and analysis, applied in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience or similar field
- 3+ years programming experience and proficiency with at least one of the following: Python, Java, C++
- Prior experience working in academic or scientific settings
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field
- A strong record of academic publication and/or software development in bioinformatics, biology, or related quantitative disciplines
- Proven communication skills in academic or scientific settings
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: genomics, microscopy, machine learning, pattern recognition, large-scale data mining, front-end web development
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equality. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.