Senior Data Scientist
Palo Alto, CA
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. As a Data Scientist at CZI, you will help to invent approaches to support our mission in education, science, and political advocacy.
Ideal candidates are focused on results, are self-starters, and have demonstrated success in dealing with product ambiguity and defining direction. In your role, you will partner closely with area experts, Product Managers, and Engineers to identify how to use data to design experiments, measure progress, extract and translate data insights into real world impact. The perfect candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, and experience working with analyzing large data sets and making data-driven decisions.
This position is based full time in our Palo Alto, CA office.
- Work with engineers, PMs, and area experts to structure complex problems to be solved using imperfect data
- Define and scope data projects and manage them from beginning to end
- Build, enhance, and find patterns in predictive models on large data sets
- Communicate findings to collaborators in various roles
- 2+ years experience doing quantitative analysis
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field
- Experience working with large and messy data sets (SQL experience is a plus)
- Practical understanding of and experience with predictive analytics
- Experience manipulating data sets through statistical software (ex. R, SAS) or other methods
- Experience working with presentation software, such as Tableau
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Practical understanding of and experience with machine learning
- Expertise in programmatically transforming, merging, and standardizing large data sets
About the Chan Zuckerberg InitiativeThe Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equal opportunity. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.