DevOps Systems Engineer
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities.
In January 2017, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative acquired Meta, a company that uses artificial intelligence to help scientists read, understand and prioritize millions of scientific papers as they are published. Meta’s tools can dramatically accelerate scientific progress and will move us closer to our goal to cure, prevent or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Our teams are working together to make the platform even more powerful and useful for the entire scientific community.
As DevOps Systems Engineer, you will collaborate with the development teams in order to drive operational efficiency, systems performance, scalability and security, and continuous deployment. This position will help establish a strong DevOps culture and practice.
- Deploying, automating, maintaining and managing AWS and Google cloud based production systems, to ensure the availability, performance, scalability and security
- Build, release and configuration management of production systems
- System troubleshooting and problem solving across platform and application domains
- Suggesting architecture improvements, recommending process improvements
- Evaluate new technology options and vendor products
- Ensuring critical system security through the use of best in class cloud security solutions
- Help drive out a production class monitoring and metrics system as well as processes
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Ensure scalability for future growth
- AWS: 2+ years experience with using a broad range of AWS technologies (e.g. EC2, RDS, ELB, EBS, S3, VPC, IAM, CloudWatch) to develop and maintain an AWS based cloud solution, with an emphasis on best practice cloud security
- GCP: 2+ years experience with using Google Compute Cloud technologies
- DevOps: Solid experience as a DevOps Engineer in a 24x7 uptime Cloud based (AWS and GCP) environment, including automation experience with configuration management tools
- Operating Systems: Deep understanding of Linux systems and administration
- CI/CD Tools: Extensive understanding of automation tools such as chef, puppet, Jenkins, docker
- Monitoring Tools: Experience with system monitoring tools (Sensu, Uchiwa, Nagios etc.)
- Problem Solving: Ability to analyze and resolve complex infrastructure resource and application deployment issues
- Scripting/Programming Skills: Solid scripting ability in any of the following: Bash, Ruby, Go, Python
- DB Skills: 2+ years administration experience (Postgresql, MySQL, Aurora)
- Big Data: Some knowledge of HBase, Hadoop, Thrift, Cassandra, Cloudera
- Agile Methodologies: Experience with Agile software development, project management methodologies
- Version Control: Experience administrating version control systems such as Github/Bitbucket
- Networking: Understanding network topologies and common network protocols and services (DNS, HTTP(S), SSH, FTP)
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equal opportunity. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.