Director of Teachers and Leaders
Palo Alto, CA
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. You will be a critical part of this mission.
Learning is a fundamentally human endeavor driven by formal and informal exchanges between teachers (professionals and others) and students through shared experiences and environments. Empowering learners begins with empowering teachers that guide and support them. Working in partnership with the education leadership team and the President of Chan Zuckerberg Education (CZE), you will lead our work to invest in human capital efforts in education. We will invest in increasing the capacity of educators, learners, and other key decision makers to create, adopt, and implement the most effective strategies, practices, and policies to dramatically improve student outcomes at scale.
You will be a part of a grant making team and set of close external partners which work across the spectrum - from catalyzing new ideas and solutions to achieving exponential growth of those with promising and proven evidence. While you will focus on human capital, you will partner closely with colleagues whose work - on models, practices, and tools, and comprehensive student development - will by definition overlap and at times be integrated.
This role is for a seasoned professional with proven skill and understanding of systems, talent management, diversity and capacity building in education. The ideal candidate will operate in an intelligent, flexible, patient, and principled way, and will have the ability to connect with a broad range of partners at all levels.
- Lead efforts to develop/ identify, codify, and scale effective approaches to enabling teachers to consistently produce transformational and personalized learning experiences for all students that allow them to achieve their full potential
- Lead efforts to identify, codify, and scale effective approaches to increasing capacity and support those leaders in the broader education ecosystem essential to creating the context for all students to have transformational and personalized learning experiences
- Spearhead CZE’s efforts to increase diversity of leaders in the field
- Coordinate efforts with CZE colleagues to identify partners and strategies to meet needs of diverse learners
- Utilize broad range of tools – grants, convenings, research, etc – to accomplish goals
- Lead and directly manage a portfolio of grants
- Establish high quality partnerships with aligned stakeholders
- Work closely with colleagues to share learnings and coordinate efforts where possible
- Represent CZE in a range of formal and informal settings/convenings
- 10+ years of professional experience in education or related fields
- Graduate degree, or equivalent experience
- Proven ability to think outside the box to spur creative and nontraditional solutions
- Proven ability to navigate complex organizations and processes to deliver results
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders, at all levels
- Strong communication skills including excellent writing, editing and presentation skills
- Ability to manage and complete complex projects by navigating multiple work streams and achieving specified outcomes
- Familiarity with personalized learning preferred
- Prior experience inside schools, districts or CMOs a plus
- Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity, flexibility and resilience, as well as ability to thrive in a fluid and fast-paced environment
- Experience working with diverse population including those with greatest needs strongly preferred
- The ideal candidate will also have prior experience making grants
- Willingness to travel (up to 33%)
- WIllingness to relocate to California
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equity. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.