Director of Policy for Science
Palo Alto, CA
Policy and Advocacy
CZI is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities.
In September 2016 we announced Chan Zuckerberg Science, with the goal to develop science and technology that will make it possible to cure, prevent, and manage all diseases by the end of the century. Chan Zuckerberg Science will bring scientists and engineers together in new ways and build transformative technologies to advance all of science. As our Director of Policy for Science, you will play a critical role in the design and execution of our science policy work. This individual will work closely with policy makers and be responsible for building critical partnerships to strengthen our science program.
You will directly report into our President of Policy but will partner closely with the leaders of CZI Science. This position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto office.
- Partner with the Presidents of Policy and Science to create and execute a holistic strategy for government and policy outreach that supports our objectives in science
- Establish and maintain key partnerships and outreach with scientific groups, organizations and allies
- Key role in designing and executing our public mobilization efforts to build public support and engagement
- Assist the CZI Science team in strategic outreach around grants and partnerships
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the science community, as well as with other public voices in the field of science policy
- 10+ years of relevant experience in policy and advocacy work
- Extensive background and expertise in science and/or health care sectors
- Demonstrated commitment to opportunity and equity in the workplace and broader society
- Proven ability to manage, develop, and lead a team with high integrity and conscientiousness
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Able to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment, setting aside individual ego
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equality. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.