Product Manager, Publisher Tools - Science
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. In January 2017, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative acquired Meta, a company that uses artificial intelligence to help scientists read, understand and prioritize millions of scientific papers as they are published. Meta’s tools can dramatically accelerate scientific progress and will move us closer to our goal to cure, prevent or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Our teams are working together to make the platform even more powerful and useful for the entire scientific community.
As the Product Manager of our tools for scientific journal editors and publishers, you’ll be developing the product roadmap and strategy and delivering detailed business requirements that will be used to help implement the team’s vision. If you want to make a difference and help accelerate innovation in science, come and join us!
This is a full-time 1 year contract position with a possible opportunity to extend.
- Continuously work with Meta users - biomedical researchers and science journal editors - to understand the problems they are trying to solve
- Be a subject matter expert on major vendors, tools, and publication processes for Scientific Technical Medical (STM) editors and publishers, e.g. Highwire, Atypon, Aries, Clarivate
- Understand scientific metrics, their pros & cons, and how they are used, e.g. journal impact factor, h-index, altmetrics
- Understand the economics, structure and important topics of the STM publishing industry, e.g. journal economics, pre-prints, peer review, open access
- Be knowledgeable about tools for scientists, e.g. Google Scholar, PubMed, ResearchGate, Mendeley, Web of Science
- Work with our internal team to ensure their insights contribute to product decisions
- Build product roadmaps and own the product life-cycle
- Create and manage product backlog, including prioritization and management of the user stories
- Drive the day-to-day product development schedule from vision through to launch
- Make decisions based on a balance of qualitative and quantitative data by testing, measuring and analyzing
- Monitor the execution and quality of projects and provide project progress to stakeholders
- Conduct publisher and publishing tool partnership discussions with partnership team
- Communicate new product functionality to internal and external customers
- 5+ years of experience in product management, business analytics
- Background in biology, medicine, life sciences, or scientific publishing
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects and competing priorities in an ever changing environment
- Experience using data and metrics to test theories, confirm assumptions and measure success
- Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing technology concepts with technical team members
- An analytical, meticulous and detail-obsessed mindset
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equality. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities. To support this mission, our Technology team builds products for educators and students; designs algorithms and builds infrastructure for scientists; and brings a data-driven approach to advocacy and civic engagement. We make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.