Director of Knowledge and Community
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
As a Director of Knowledge and Community, you will be a key executive and partner to the President of the Education Initiative team. Working in partnership with him, you will lead efforts in shaping and driving the development of a proactive learning agenda for the Education team, and establishing the systems and processes required to implement and support this learning agenda.
One of the Education Initiative's core values is that we Learn Fast. The Knowledge Management team will help foster “Learn Fast” capabilities and culture within the Education Initiative. Specifically, the team will:
1. Ensure Education Initiative activities have the data collection processes and systems to produce ongoing feedback for learning, continuous improvement and impact evaluation.
2. Provide ongoing analytical support for field research, performance management and other core functions
3. Gather and synthesize relevant research and happenings in the field and provide to team in easily accessible and usable form
4. Provide tools and resources for gathering and synthesizing input and insights from team members, partners, and stakeholders in the broader field including at the grassroots level
5. Build and manage an on-demand expert network to provide timely counsel at the strategic, operational and tactical levels.
This role is for a seasoned professional with proven skill in managing data, information and learning. The ideal candidate will operate in an intelligent, flexible, patient, and principled way, and will have an interest in working both with our internal team as well as with key grantees and partners in the field.
- Lead efforts to create an intentional learning agenda for the Education Initiative team
- Lead efforts to make sure appropriate data collection systems are in place to support learning, improvement and evaluation
- Curate critical market research and share synthesized findings and insights with the CZI and the Education Initiative team
- Develop means to gather “customer” feedback to gauge CZI’s effectiveness and progress towards goals
- Identify and manage cohort of expert resources for team learning
- Work with the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Education Initiative leadership team to develop core processes, systems and norms to ensure that the Education team works within a supportive culture committed to learning and impact
- Directly manage a knowledge management team and indirectly support the entire the Education team in achieving their learning goals
- Work closely with counterparts within the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative including Science, Engineering and Policy teams to develop shared tools and infrastructure and share learnings
- 10+ years of professional experience in education or related fields, including at least 5-7 years of senior management experience
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex data systems and evaluation methods
- Demonstrated ability to build new teams and supportive systems and cultures
- Proven ability to navigate complex organizations and processes to deliver results
- Proven ability to make decisions in fluid environments with limited information at times
- An excellent listener – someone who can hear and synthesize learnings from disparate and diverse audiences/sources
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders, at all levels
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.