Data Science Lead, Analytics - Education
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
To further this mission, our Education Technology team builds products to support educators and help students become self-directed learners and reach their full potential. As Data Science Lead, you will manage the team of data scientists working on personalized learning, oversee our data and understanding efforts, and develop insights that drive our growth strategy, product strategy, and product roadmap. You’ll play a key role in leading and supporting the team toward delivering critical short- and long-term student outcomes.
The ideal candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field and experience working with large data sets and making data-driven decisions. If you are mission-driven, entrepreneurial, and committed to building transformative education technologies, we want to hear from you.
The position is full-time and based in our Palo Alto headquarters.
- Build, manage, and develop a team of highly skilled data scientists, analysts, and data engineers
- Define metrics, design experiments, analyze the funnel, and leverage data to drive deep understanding of our products and identify areas of opportunity
- Inform, influence, support, and help execute projects to drive growth, retention, engagement, and successful outcomes for students and teachers
- Partner with product managers, education leaders, researchers, engineers, and other teammates to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities
- Build and maintain reports, dashboards, and metrics to monitor performance and track progress for our products
- Manage development of data resources, gather requirements, organize sources, and support product launches
- Use our data warehouse, SQL, ETL, Python, and tools like Tableau and Excel to work efficiently at scale; train members of your team on these types of tools as well
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with a diverse set of teammates and partners (internal and external), and produce visuals that clearly and effectively communicate key findings
- 5+ years experience doing quantitative analysis
- 3+ years experience as a people manager (formally or informally)
- Demonstrated ability to use data understanding and insights to drive product improvements and influence strategy
- Exceptional analytical skills, including proficiency in experimental design, regressions, and statistical tests
- Expertise in programmatically transforming, merging, and standardizing large and messy data sets
- Understanding of statistical analysis and experience with statistical software (Python, R, etc)
- Practical understanding of and experience with machine learning
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills across a broad set of cross-functional stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and fluid environment
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.