Software Engineer, Fullstack - Science
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity. In December 2015, Dr. Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg launched the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with the mission to invest in personalized learning, curing disease and building strong communities.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help define and lead our microscopy applications effort. Our goal is to advance biological sciences by building innovative, scalable, and easy-to-use software applications in close coordination and collaboration with the scientific community. Our team builds end-to-end software solutions, including petabyte scale data archives, analysis pipelines and visualization systems, with a domain focus on molecular and cellular-scale optical imaging of biological systems.
The desired candidate is a senior software engineer generalist with extensive full-stack application development experience, good design judgement, and excellent communication skills. Technical platform skills are primarily Web and Cloud, but a diverse technical background is strongly desired.
- Design and implement software applications to manage collection, analysis and visualization of optical microscopy data
- Technical design and implementation leadership for development team
- Explore, define and validate application solutions in partnership with Science domain specialists and Product Management
- Collaborate directly with external open source partners, scientific advisors and early adopters
- Founding team member for new software initiative - contribute technical expertise to strategy and MVP definition
- 7+ years of software design and development
- Significant full-stack application design and implementation experience, including use of web front-end technologies (eg, HTML/CSS, WebGL, SVG), building upon public cloud-based infrastructure, and use of high-scale databases (relational and NoSQL)
- Experience managing large and high bandwidth data
- Demonstrated ability to make significant contributions to early stage projects, including specifications and prototypes, and working with end users to identify requirements and candidate solutions.
- Experience with wide variety of modern languages, development tools and infrastructure.
- Technical leadership experience, including design, implementation, and partnering with Product and Scientific leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Imaging or Scientific applications experience
- Complex and highly interactive user interface experience
- GPU programming experience
The following skills are optional but considered a plus:
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched by Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Dr. Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of the Primary School. CZI seeks to advance human potential and promote equality. Initially, focus areas will include personalized learning, curing disease, and building strong communities. We will make long-term investments over 25, 50 or even 100 years because our greatest challenges require time to solve. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.