Software Engineer, Fullstack - Science
Palo Alto, CA
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through technology, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing world-class engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups -- women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help define and lead our microscopy applications effort. Our goal is to advance biological sciences by building innovative, scalable, and easy-to-use software applications in close coordination and collaboration with the scientific community. Our team builds end-to-end software solutions, including petabyte scale data archives, analysis pipelines and visualization systems, with a domain focus on molecular and cellular-scale optical imaging of biological systems.
The desired candidate is a senior software engineer generalist with extensive full-stack application development experience, good design judgement, and excellent communication skills. Technical platform skills are primarily Web and Cloud, but a diverse technical background is strongly desired.
- Design and implement software applications to manage collection, analysis and visualization of optical microscopy data
- Technical design and implementation leadership for development team
- Explore, define and validate application solutions in partnership with Science domain specialists and Product Management
- Collaborate directly with external open source partners, scientific advisors and early adopters
- Founding team member for new software initiative - contribute technical expertise to strategy and MVP definition
- 7+ years of software design and development
- Significant full-stack application design and implementation experience, including use of web front-end technologies (eg, HTML/CSS, WebGL, SVG), building upon public cloud-based infrastructure, and use of high-scale databases (relational and NoSQL)
- Experience managing large and high bandwidth data
- Demonstrated ability to make significant contributions to early stage projects, including specifications and prototypes, and working with end users to identify requirements and candidate solutions.
- Experience with wide variety of modern languages, development tools and infrastructure.
- Technical leadership experience, including design, implementation, and partnering with Product and Scientific leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Imaging or Scientific applications experience
- Complex and highly interactive user interface experience
- GPU programming experience
About the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.